1 John 4:4
"Greater is he who is in you, than he who is in the world." (The Apostle John)
NeurOptimal® Dynamical Neurofeedback®
- Neurofeedback is a training system designed to enhance optimal brain functioning and peak performance.
- When your brain is functioning at its best, you become more resilient, more regulated, and more able to bounce-back from stress or difficult experiences.
- Dynamical Neurofeedback® is safe, non-intrusive, and has no negative side effects.
- Training sessions are 50 minutes.
- Rates: 1 session = $110; 10 session bundle = $90/session; 20 session bundle = $75/session (+GST)
Mercy Seat Ministry’s neurofeedback sessions are designed to train your brain to function optimally and improve your self-regulation, resilience, flexibility and balance. These characteristics are game changers in overcoming adversity and stepping into a life of freedom and vitality.
Your brain was made by God to be strong, buoyant, flexible, and hardy. It was created to be able to adjust, find balance, and adapt. Neurofeedback helps your brain work smoothly and efficiently like it was designed to.
Users of neurofeedback describe its impact with phrases like:
- I have rediscovered energy and vibrancy in my life
- I feel like I remember how to have fun with my kids again
- The chatter in my mind has quieted
- Distractions seem less distracting
- I seem to tolerate frustration better and manage stress more easily
- I feel more steady and calm, like things slow down and become clear, when I need to be “on”
- I seem to laugh more easily and my friends say I am my old self again
- I have been on high alert so long, I forgot what peace felt like
How it works
NeurOptimal® uses EEG technology to monitor your brain’s electrical activity (over 250 times per second), and loops feedback to it. This feedback is communicated to your brain through small interruptions in a music track you will be listening to. Each interruption is like the system saying, “Hey brain, we are noticing a slight shift in the way you are functioning. How would you like to regulate the shift?” Your brain then practices responding as optimally as it can. It is as though a mirror is being held up to your brain so it can notice what its doing and learn to regulate its response.
Brain training is analogous to the experience of driving on a familiar road. We can typically drive without paying much attention, but if we start to drift out of our lane and we hit the rumble strip on the side of the road, we snap to attention. The feedback from the road alerts us to the shift in our position. With this feedback, we can then decide what action is best for us – it might be moving back into our lane, or it might be slowing down and stopping on the side of the road. Dynamical Neurofeedback® doesn’t force a particular response, rather it alerts your brain to a shift as its happening, so your own brain can choose its optimal response.
NeurOptimal® utilizes your brain’s intrinsic intelligence to regulate the amount and type of brain activity needed for optimal functioning. The better it becomes at this type of regulation, the more strength and resilience it has to return to its optimal state when faced with the challenges and stresses of life.
Dynamical Neurofeedback® can be used as:
- a stand-alone service,
- in conjunction with counselling,
- or to prepare an optimal foundation while you wait for counselling services.
What to expect in a training session
Brain training is pre-cognitive, meaning we do not need to exert effort, think anything, or try to feel anything throughout the training sessions.
During sessions, EEG electrodes are placed on your head and ears. You will then spend 33 minutes listening to music that is interrupted periodically to provide feedback to your brain. These interruptions occur in response to the information gathered through the electrodes. It is these informed interruptions that train your brain to orient to its optimal functioning and enhance peak performances. While the training is occurring, you can relax, reflect, journal, or read.
In keeping with Mercy Seat Ministry’s faith-integrated approach, you will also have the opportunity during your neurofeedback sessions to be prayed with and to be pointed toward God. We consider it a privilege to help you harness the God intended buoyancy, adaptability, flexibility, and joy that trademark an abundant life.
5 Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should I do sessions?
- Because this is a training program and not a specific treatment, this is something you will get a feel for as you get started.
- We recommend no less than once a week to get started. Many people really enjoy beginning with 2-3 (or more) sessions a week because they are eager to see evidence of change.
2. How many sessions will I need?
- Again, there is no exact answer to this question, as every person responds on their own unique timeline.
- We will help you track change so you’ll be able to identify when you’ve received the benefits you were looking for.
- The training aspect is similar to learning to read. We don’t know exactly how many reading lessons each person will need to be a proficient reader, but we do know they’ll be on a trajectory toward reading competence if they participate in the lessons.
- As a general idea, many people report noticeable changes after 10-20 sessions or 1-3 months of regular training. For some its much sooner, for some a little longer.
3. Will I need to do sessions forever?
- Not at all. Like learning to read, once you can do it, you don’t forget.
- Sometimes if you face a stressful or traumatic time, you may notice you seem to be revisiting stuckness to some degree. If that happens, a tune up training session or two is all that is usually required to get back on your optimal track.
4. When will I notice changes?
- Some people notice immediate changes, others don’t feel any different until they’ve done several sessions.
- Brain training is similar to starting to jog. Some people feel great after their first run, others don’t until they’ve been doing it awhile.
5. Are there risks or side effects?
- Not related directly to the brain training. We don’t put anything in or manipulate your brain.
- As people regulate more efficiently, they might recognize the need to change other aspects of their life to be free to function at their best. Sometimes those changes (like setting new boundaries, or creating new habits) can have risks.