Counselling Session Format
- Counselling is available in person or via video-calling only within Canada.
Your first Counselling session is 45-minutes in length and has a two-fold purpose. It is designed to share information about Mercy Seat’s bias to seek healing from Jesus Christ, and to hear your presenting issues and goals for therapy. With this information, you can decide whether or not you want to move ahead with counselling from this bias, and the counsellor can determine if she is equipped to help in the identified areas of difficulty.
Subsequent sessions can be anywhere from 1-3 hours in length, depending on the presenting issues and your personal limits. In these sessions, your emotional, cognitive, behavioural, relational and spiritual difficulties are uncovered and brought before the healing ministry of Jesus Christ. Help is sought from the Holy Spirit through Biblical truth, prayer, and worship of God, while utilizing proven outcome-based therapeutic techniques. Our therapists value working collaboratively with clients in the midst of their unique journey to healing, victory, and freedom in Christ.
Discipleship Session Format
- Discipleship is available in person, or via video-calls, phone calls, or emailing.
Your first Discipleship session is 45-minutes in length and has a two-fold purpose. It is designed to share information about Mercy Seat’s bias to seek growth that is honouring to Jesus Christ, and to hear your goals. With this information, you can decide whether you want to move ahead with coaching from this bias, and the discipleship coach can determine if she is equipped to assist you in your desired areas of growth.
Subsequent sessions can be anywhere from 30-90 minutes in length, depending on the nature of your goals and your personal limits. In these sessions, your Discipleship Coach will work collaboratively with you to clarify your goals and make action plans to attain them. Your Discipleship Coach will support you and provide accountability as you take these steps and overcome the inevitable hurdles along the way.
The Difference Between Counselling and Life Coaching
- Counselling focuses on uncovering difficulties, recovering from them, and discovering new and more abundant life. Life Coaching focuses only on the last of these three – discovering new and more abundant life.
- Counselling can assist people who are struggling with depression, anxiety, addictions, grief, relationship difficulties, and trauma recovery, as well as those seeking to make practical improvements in their lives. Life Coaching assists only in moving forward in practical ways.
- Counselling involves more stringent boundaries to protect the deep vulnerability of those seeking help. Life Coaching also values safety, yet because of the nature of the content being discussed, coaches have the ability to be more flexible in the ways meetings are conducted. This allows Life Coaches to offer phone sessions and email accountability that isn’t offered by MSM Counsellors.
- Counsellors keep confidential records of session material, Life Coaches do not retain records of your work together.
- At MSM, both Counsellors and Life Coaches point you to the Lord in prayer, in worship, and by applying Biblical truth. It is our goal, in everything we do, to facilitate and strengthen your relationship with God the Father, Jesus the Son, and the Holy Spirit.